Tuesday 28 January 2014

The Tree by the River



I looked at the tree standing by the river. I noticed the tree doesn't move, while the river never stops moving. Continuously flowing and conquering new destinies, while the tree is standing still looking at the moving water.

I asked the tree how she feels when all does is standing still every day and night feels like the day before, while her friend never stops, always traveling, seeing different beauties and landscapes. I told her if I were you I would complain for being created this way; not being able to move.

The tree gave me a cold shoulder, and said don't judge destinies. You humans barely reflect on things, and when you do, you only reflect on one narrow angle. You see my life boring and the river interesting, because you wish to be like the river. “If you could see the reflection of your soul in me you wouldn’t prefer the river over me. Why don't you ask the river so you can know more about me?” said the tree
 
I asked the river, if she feels sorry for the tree. “yes I enjoy my life, conquering new places and running wildly all the time. But, sometimes I admit I envy the tree. It is always at the service of others, it shelters birds, and communicates with them, and it grows long branches, gives off fruits and leaves that make humans happy. It looks up to God and asks him to be of more service to others.  It has witnessed every battle, every joy occurred on this land, it often recalls the stories to me. it watches over the place as it's its responsibility to record every little detail to some unknown yet important day.” answered the river

The tree becomes happy when she knows others appreciate its beauty and its strength. She tells me the stories of birds and the wisdom and joy of giving without expecting anything in return. She doesn't complain when woodpecker digs its body and makes a hole or when the squirrels settle on her body, because she knows they will be safe and protected.” Continued the river.

I learnt never to look at the standing tree the same again. I learnt that trees are graceful livings on this planet. They are teachers to the river and us, the human beings. I learnt we can never know much about the universe by just looking at the surface. We have to go deeper, to inside the stories, to feel the strengths, see the flaws and beauties in order to understand the universe around us. 




photo taken near Halabja

No comments:

Post a Comment